Saturday, September 02, 2006

Cats and Horses

Dogs have to be the most frequently requested of all the pets that I am asked to portray. Although there are still many breeds of dog I look forward to drawing/painting I want to build up a small collection of cat and horse portraits in my spare time to show (and hopefully sell) on my website.

So the majority of today was spent looking for suitable reference material. Have found a couple of good, clear cat photographs to work from that would make great pictures but none of horses. I'll just have to keep searching while working on my cats.

Staying on the cat theme my scratchboard cat is now completed as far as the scratching goes. It is now ready for colour and I made a start on this today. I'm hoping I have done the right thing as it looks so different with colour added - and I've only added a little!!!

Mind you today has been a funny day in that I wasn't happy with anything I worked on. Started another cat on scratchboard last night so thought I would paint the eyes today - I spent 2 hours on the one eye (the other is barely visable and in shadow) trying to get it to look right and I'm still not happy with it. Didn't dare go near the 2 chocolate labs I am working on for fear of things happening in 3's. Tomorrow is another day and things might look better then.

Anyway here is where I am with my first scratchboard cat.......

and with my 2nd.........

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love these scratchboard cats,so very effective,look forward to seeing more.

Laura said...

Thanks Victoria - I enjoy doing them.