Wednesday, March 04, 2009

German Shepherd

Charlie
A Work in Progress
Copyright Laura Hardie 2009

For some reason or other I had it in my head that entries for the UKCPS Open International Exhibition 2009 had to be in by the end of March so have spent the past week panicking because I hadn’t started anything for it. Each year I promise myself that I’ll enter something to this exhibition but never do, mainly because I haven’t drawn something I've considered good enough. So you can imagine how relieved I was to find it was in fact the end of June – 24th to be exact – that entries had to be in by. Panic over for now.

I did find the time to start a new coloured pencil drawing that may or may not end up being submitted that I will continue to work on in between my commissions.

For now though I am working on a graphite pencil portrait of a German Shepherd called Charlie. I love my coloured pencils but love graphite just as much, if not (slightly) more. What I don’t like about graphite is being unable to get a good enough scan or photograph of the finished drawing. So much of the detail is lost and the support always ends up looking grey when it should be white. I do intend to play more with my camera to see if I can get better results with that but until then this is the best I can do with my scanner. At least you get the idea.

8 comments:

Grahame Butler said...

this is off to a great start, having just drawn one myself I know how much work has gone into this already! I know what you mean about scanning Graphite, I now set my camera to black and white and get better results, still a little grey and grainy but better than the scanner

Anonymous said...

Wow Laura, this is coming along beautifully!!!

Laura said...

Thank you Grahame and Sal:)

Grahame, thanks for the advice with the camera - I'll definately give that a go when I get around to playing with it:)

Teresa Mallen said...

Charlie is coming along beautifully.

You probably got the end of March date in your mind from reading about someone getting something ready for the Coloured Pencil Society of America's deadline - which is March 31st! Nice to have the extra time isn't it? :-)

Jenna White said...

This is beautiful! I bet the reason you thought the deadline was March was because the deadline for the CPSA exhibition is March 31st. And now that I've said that out loud, I'M panicking because I'm not done with my entry for that yet! lol.

Laura said...

Thank you Teresa and Jenna:) Yes, you're both probably right and I got my societies mixed up:-D It's great to have the extra time though.

Gail H. Ragsdale said...

WOW!! I love this one!

Elizabeth McCrindle said...

Really beautiful work Laura :)