Monday, August 15, 2011

Pointer update



Pointer, Stage 4
A Work in Progress
Copyright Laura Hardie 2011


Making slow progress on the Pointer but I am getting there and not panicking (yet) about getting it finished in time. It’s very much been a portrait where I have jumped around doing bits here and there, going back and forth over various areas building them up but not quite finishing them and continually moving around the drawing in this way. This is typical of the way I work and more often than not will do a drawing this way rather than finish one area to completion before moving onto the next (though I am known to do this also dependant on how I feel at the time). So why tell you this? I’ve had a few people ask if I can explain my process and while I’m more than happy to do this I’m left questioning if I have a process or method as such and have therefore been giving it a lot of thought while working on the Pointer, trying to think how I can break what I do down. There would certainly be a lot of stages:) Even if I can include more in-progress shots and let you know what has been done, colours used, etc. It has been duly noted anyway.




Pointer, Stage 3
A Work in Progress
Copyright Laura Hardie 2011


Auction news now with it being Monday. Prices on all available drawings have been dropped by another £20 which means 'Focused' is now £180, 'Eye Contact', £125, 'Morgan', £90 and 'Inquiring Mind', £190. If you would like details on any of these drawings please drop me an email.

8 comments:

Kendra said...

It's a lovely portrait of the pointer and I can understand why it's slow progress because of all the detail!

Jeanne Carr said...

As I am one of the people who has been asking you about your process, I appreciate this posting. I have another question. Do you take the photographs yourself? One of the problems I tend to have when doing animal portraits is relying on photos from the owners.

Sandra said...

Incredible!…your pointer is so life like.

Laura said...

Thank you Kendra - I do love my detail, the more the better:)

Hi Jeanne, when I can I like to take the photos myself but unfortunately this isn't always possible. I do rely on photos from the owners but I am very fussy with what I will work from which thankfully hasn't been a problem:) It is important to get a good, clear photo to work from that has character or that 'something' and if I feel the photo isn't clear enough, or right for whatever reason, I will work with the owner to get something we are both happy with. I often say this stage can take the longest time but it is definately worth it.

Thank you Sandra:)

Jeanne Carr said...

Thanks for responding, Laura. I'm having a "photo issue" currently with a client. As a gift, they'd like me to do a portrait of their relative's dog who passed away years ago. Unfortunatley they only have three photographs of him and they're all from a phone camera. I've tried my best but I'm afraid I'm going to have to turn them down as I just can't see enough detail to even know where to begin with this dog. I just feel so badly doing that. It's a bit comforting for me to hear that you also place such a high value on good photos to work form. And I really appreciate your responses to my comments.

Jeanne Carr said...

I hope you don't mind but I mentioned you in my last post on my own blog. Only good things, I promise! I directed people to your website.

Laura said...

Hi Jeanne, it's never easy when you have to turn down a commission because of the photos is it, especially when the dog's no longer here. But you would only be unhappy with the finished portrait were you to do it and that's never good. And I don't mind you mentioning me in your blog post at all - thank you for that:)

Heather M. said...

Your work never ceases to amaze me.. ;-)